Sunday, May 22, 2011

Kelly IV Launched & Cruising - May 21-22, 2011

Bob Arlet and I tested the new fuel tanks and confirmed that all was well except for a fuel gauge sender.  We loaded all the diesel from the four jerry cans, 10 gallons into each new tank.  With fuel in both tanks, Bob showed me how to bleed the fuel lines, then we actually ran the engine by filling a bucket with water and sticking the engine water intake hose into the bucket.  A running hose from the boatyard kept the bucket full as the engine purred along with nary a glitch.  Bob will replace the faulty sender in a couple days when it ships here.

Late Friday night Guy Stewart drove to Erie and we bunked on board planning an early start as we were scheduled for a 9am launch at Bay Harbor Marina (BHM).  We still had a number of things to prepare:  moving a car to the LeClair Point Marina, filling the jerry cans with diesel, preparing dock lines & fenders, checking all the thru-hulls and removing the ladder from the boat.

Gerard and his helper were right on time and immediately began moving Kelly to the launch well at BHM.  The new radar unit atop its 8 foot pole provided a significant challenge to using the BHM travelift.  Fortunately, Gerard, Harbormaster Extraordinaire, found a solution by lowering Kelly and the radar post below the crossbar, then raising Kelly off the hydraulic lift with the radar unit aft of the crossbar and the backstay forward of the crossbar.  It required very careful handling as any fore & aft sway would have easily damaged both the radar and the backstay/rigging, but Gerard was cool and professional and accomplished the task with aplomb.

Once Kelly was floating and free of the travelift straps, Guy and I warped her quickly forward to a dock space well away from the busy launch well.  Once there we got to work confirming that all thru-hulls were doing their jobs keeping the lake on the outside.  With that priority handled, we methodically went through all the work, FUN WORK   :-)  , of getting Kelly ready to sail.  I truly enjoy the work of rigging the boat and getting her ready to sail.  Guy and I bent on the genny and mainsail, rigging the sheets, barber haulers, furling line, lazy jacks, and making all the lines shipshape coiling and hanking the tails.  After some past history I have where we needed the sails on an initial launch trip, I insisted that Kelly be fully rigged for sailing before we left the dock for her new slip at LeClair Point.

The trip out of BHM was very short as we immediately stopped next door at the fuel dock at  neighboring Perry's Landing Marina to top off both new fuel tanks.  Fortunately, the old problem of fuel bubbling out of the fill hose is now gone with all new fill and vent hoses, so the fueling was entirely uneventful.  Guy and I proceeded to the new slip where we tied up and I carefully reminded Guy to get his car keys so he could drive me back to pick up my car at BHM.  It is only a mile so Guy had me at my car in no time.  I hopped out and dug my hands into my pocket for the car keys that I conveniently left on board Kelly, back at LeClair Point!  Fortunately, Guy had a coat hanger and I had left the rear windows slightly open so I rigged a door lock opener and used the spare key I had left in my bag in the car to drive back to LeClair Point.

Just as we were driving away from LeClair Point to get my car, we saw Bill and Sarah Paviol arriving, so they were already loading gear on board for our overnight sail weekend.  That was done in a few minutes, so Guy and the Paviols left for food shopping while I continued with some last minute preparations for our weekend sail.  They stowed the food and off we went. 
 
“We're Sailing!”
“We're Sailing!”

Well actually, we were motoring so it might be more accurate to say “we're cruising”.  At least we were off the dock and enjoying the freedom of the unbounded waters and clean air.  Speaking of air, while clean, it was also quite calm.  The motoring was smooth and easy, so we took off through the channel, fiddling with the new radar to match the radar with the underlying chart features.  Once free of Presque Isle Bay, we set the sails, killed the motor and drifted quietly to nowhere.  There was absolutely no wind at all.  Nobody cared, as we were finally on Kelly, enjoying the beautiful day and each other's company.  So after 15 minutes of drifting aimlessly, we struck the sails, fired the motor and drove directly to Marina Lake within Presque Isle State Park.

The new anchor was connected to the old rode and lowered over the side to fix our spot for the night.  Bill, Guy, Sarah & I lowered the dinghy from the davits, clamped the new Torqeedo electric motor into place on the transom and we each spent significant time playing with the newly motored dinghy. 
You'll recall that her prior motive power had been limited to oars and sail.  With the electric motor, she zipped around the anchorage carrying Bill to anyone who might have some Grey Poupon!  Bill and Guy had their fishing licenses so they went off at dusk for a little recreation of the anglers' variety.

We easily fell into our routine of years past when Guy & Bill returned, fired up the propane grill and prepared a delicious dinner of grilled chicken wings and burgers.  I washed the few dishes quickly and we enjoyed our beers in the cockpit.  Guy & Sarah did damage to their root beer inventory while Bill & I made our mark on the supply of Yuengling.

Sunday morning dawned early when Guy & Bill went off at 6am to play with the dinghy & new motor.  They said they were fishing again, but I suspect they are merely suppressed power boaters!  :-)  

On their return to Kelly IV, they prepared a wonderful breakfast of eggs, toast, ham and juice.  As Sunday morning was cloudy and gray, we were slow to move and just hung out in the cockpit until
Sarah and I decided to do a little exploring in the dinghy putting the new motor through it's paces.  Sarah drove and took us under the fixed bridge into the beginning of Long Pond as I regaled Sarah with stories of my canoe trips with my family through these same waters many years ago.

Sarah's fun with the motorized dinghy was not to end anytime soon as she took me on a trip to dump our garbage in the proper bins at the park's fuel dock.  Then she took her dad and Guy on another trip into the ponds and marshes on Presque Isle.  When they finally returned, we had a tasty lunch and chased the newly minted sunshine across Presque Isle Bay to Kelly's new slip.  The Paviols departed for points south while Guy and I rigged the dinghy suspended from the davits with her boat cover, but hanging on her side to shed any rain and avoid any resulting puddles in the cover. 

Guy's commitments with his kids dragged him away to leave me to repack the v-berth to accommodate all the charts, books, sewing machine, and tools I had brought with me from home.  It took a few hours, but I finally got the two big plastic bins full of charts and books secured safely behind the new lee cloth in the v-berth.  I also got the first few bags of food stowed away. 

Monday began windy, cloudy, grey, and rainy, but that didn't stop my progress in the final preparations.  I took some measurements, bought a board, some u-bolts and eye screws, then built a spot for the 3 jerry cans to be lashed at the port bow.  Kelly had several pieces of chain in various places, fore and aft, so I took all of it off the boat, laid each length of chain side by side and measured them, so I'd know what we actually have.  It turns out that our chain inventory includes 35 feet and 10 feet lengths of 5/16” chain, 20 feet and 17 feet lengths of 3/8” chain, and 7 feet of 1/4” chain.  All of these fit nicely in the forward on deck anchor locker once I removed all the line.  I retied the new anchor so it should be secure on the bow and tied hanks of the other lines on the bow pulpit. The bow pulpit has two anchor lines (150 feet and 200 feet), 4 dock lines (75 feet each), 1 block and tackle with line for the crane (100 feet), and two bow dock lines (30 feet each) tied on both sides.  Once I refilled the water tank, Kelly IV was level on her waterline.  Previously, with all the new weight added to the stern (radar, solar panels, larger fuel tanks, jerry cans in aft starboard lazarette, dinghy and davits), Kelly was down a couple inches at the stern.  Shifting the chain, lines, jerry cans, and chain forward helped put Kelly back on her proper lines.

In other words, we're actually beginning the provisioning for the Big Cruise!  It is hard to believe that in less than a week our departure date will be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment