Saturday, May 17, 2014

Wye River from Duvall Creek, May 17, 2014

With a nice 10 knot breeze blowing gently across the deck, Kelly IV's motor rumbled quietly as I manually retrieved the last anchor. The breeze was enough to make me work, but not so pushy as to require the engine to forge forward for hauling the anchor.
But Murphy's Law being what it is, the breeze died once Kelly IV and I were in the South River and hoisting the dacron to enjoy a gentle sail across the Chesapeake Bay. We made the effort, gybing back and forth across the South River, but finally furled the jib and motorsailed across to Bloody Point, up the Eastern Bay, then through the dog leg entrance into the Wye River.

We passed several older sailboats who seemed to be in a race, as they were not motoring and merely seemed to be waiting for a breath of air to propel their yachts towards St. Michaels. One of the all-wood vessels was the Bull, one of a matching pair of boats, the other being the Bear, both berthed at the National Sailing Hall of Fame, City Dock, Annapolis.
The "Bull"
It was a pleasant day motoring into the Wye River, passing by the famous Shaw Bay, where the Eastport Oyster Boys play an annual floating concert for anyone willing to anchor in the bay on that special weekend in September. It was exciting for me as this was the first time this season that I took Kelly IV into a new-to-me anchorage. Although Duvall Creek was a first for Kelly IV, I had anchored there as a member of Captain Troy Cain's Persistent crew many years earlier.
Wye River anchorage
The anchorage was a very small creek or cove that might have held one or two other boats. As it was, I had the rural sunset to myself, sharing it only with birds and Kelly IV.
Wye River sunset

No comments:

Post a Comment