Monday, October 19, 2020

Michigan, Winterizing - October 19, 2020

My calendar showed more days than needed to head west to Indiana from Pennsylvania, so I decided now was the time to add Michigan to the RV map.  

Sunset in Ohio


As the forecast showed below freezing temperatures in northern Michigan, I winterized during my stop enroute through northwestern Ohio.  Although the coldest temperature recorded by my thermometer was only 31 degrees (28F was forecast) it was cold enough that I felt justified in winterizing the RV.  Especially as I'll be in the northern climes for at least a few more weeks.

The creek behind my site


It turns out that winterizing the RV is much simpler than winterizing the boat (Kelly IV).  Winterizing the RV is required as all the tanks and hoses are below the heated coach and exposed to the outside temperatures.  All that is necessary is to cut the hot water heater out of the fresh water system and drain all the fresh water and both holding tanks.  This is easily done through valves in the system for just that duty.  Loading the fresh water hoses with potable anti-freeze prevents the hoses from bursting with any frozen water that might be left in low spots in the system.



Using the winterized RV is a bit more bother, but certainly do-able.  I have lots of bottled water, which doesn't freeze as I keep it inside the heated coach.  After using water for cooking & dishes, I rinse the sink and drain hose with potable anti-freeze to prevent the holding tank from freezing.

A long drive with many rough miles along US 23


For bathing I use a waterless shampoo that claims to be used aboard the space station and wipe clean with baby wipes.  For the head, I flush with the potable anti-freeze so the black water tank doesn't freeze.




             Snow overnight in Michigan


Just east of Petosky, MI in East Park, I enjoyed a quiet lunch in the RV overlooking Little Traverse Bay on a grey, wet day.



No comments:

Post a Comment