Friday, May 1, 2015

Pine Island to Talbot Island by Karen Posey - May 1, 2015

Interesting day today. Sunny weather and a pleasant sail to an anchorage north of Jacksonville.
Mario with his Boat in the Background
I set up the laptop in the cabin and exercised to Charlotte's Friday weights DVD while underway. To say the least, it was challenging. Even a slight heel of the boat in the direction I was facing caused me to brace myself to avoid falling into the computer screen. With only 2 to 3 feet of width in which to move, my grape vines were more like raisin vines. And balancing on one leg was the ultimate challenge. I can't say how much real exercise I got, but my intentions were good.

As we passed the public dock in Jacksonville, we were hailed on the radio by Murph's friend Mario, who saw us and was leaving the dock
heading north. Mario is an old friend of Murph's who happened to be at the Titusville Marina when Murph was there, and is now traveling the ICW as we are. We decided to anchor in the same location and party a bit. Unfortunately, we were overtaken by events.
Due to wind and current working in opposite directions, the anchor rode wrapped around the keel. The boat was then pushed broadside by the current into the shoal. Thanks to Murph's knowledge of boating and Mario's advice and help, after a couple of hours, they were able to rectify the situation.

With narrow channels and, in some areas, long distances between markers / navigation aids ( my excuse for yesterday's adventure) and strong currents and winds ( the reason for today's adventure), the ICW is a challenging route to travel. But what is life without a little excitement?
Anxious to see what tomorrow will bring :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment