Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Day 56 Rt 66 Oatman, AZ

Sunrise in Kingman, AZ on Day 56.
Day 56, yesterday, Rt 66 took me from Kingman, AZ into Needles, CA over the twisty Sitgreaves Pass through fanciful Oatman.  Another great drive, even in an old RV.  Tremendous mountain vistas and rugged desert terrain.  No pics from Day 55 as I was burning the WiFi working on my blog.

The map shows my destination in Nevada.
I decided a few days on a side trip here would permit me to
add NV to my RV map. And there's a
nice campground on the Colorado River.

One last mural in Kingman before heading towards Oatman, AZ.

The mountains west of Kingman.

Beginning the climb through the mountains.

Cool Springs Station, Golden Valley, AZ.

Another bit of Bob Waldmire's work.
Cool Springs Station, Golden Valley, AZ.

The obligatory signpost at
Cool Springs Station.

At Cool Springs Station, east of Sitgreaves Pass, where the switchback road begins, heading west.





Looking west, Sitgreaves Pass is the low spot
in the mountains directly above the RV.

For panorama, Click


You're looking east, Sitgreaves Pass (the gap just right of center)
is 1,000 feet above the eastern valley floor and
3,000 feet above the Colorado River to the west.

For panorama, Click


Looking north from just west of Sitgreaves Pass


Rt 66 ran through here in the early years.



Many old buildings in Oatman from
the gold mining days 100 years ago.









Yes, wild burros roam freely throughout Oatman.
I'm sure the burro food sold to tourists has nothing to do with it. 😉

Olive Oatman, the town's namesake,
is pictured on this shop in Oatman, AZ.
She was in captivity for several years,
an interesting story worth googling.


On the road southwest of Oatman.

For panorama, Click

Even this old water(?) tank
carries the Rt 66 theme. Topock, AZ.

Proof I've now taken Rt 66 in all 8 states!

This signpost is easternmost on Rt 66 in CA.

Not what I expected to see on Rt 66,
but I am in California.  😀

Vintage neon, Needles.


Murals in Needles.


Downtown Needles, CA

The left side of this map on a building in Needles
shows my route on Day 56.
The right side shows my path when I return from NV.

More murals in Needles.

Great neon in Needles, CA.

For Facebook post, Click

No comments:

Post a Comment