Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Day 63 Rt 66 Mojave Desert, CA

Sunrise Day 63 at Big Bend of the Colorado SP, NV
Enhanced by the desert rain clouds. South of Laughlin, NV
Day 63 on Historic Rt 66.  Crossed the Mohave Desert, including Needles, Amboy, & Newberry Springs, CA.  The mountains had rain on a cool winter day.  I can't imagine 100F+ in summer with a broken down car during the Dust Bowl days.  😮

This cafe has served 66ers for over 40 years. Needles, CA




Needles, CA
Now in the Mojave desert.  For panorama, Click

As there are several bridges out from Essex to
Chambliss and at least one bridge between
Amboy & Ludlow unable to carry my 6 ton RV,
I had to follow I-40 and take a side trip to Roy's in Amboy, CA.
I wonder if this old, broken asphalt
east of Goffs, CA is an early portion of Rt 66?

Much of the Mojave Desert is truly desolate.
Between Homer & Goffs, CA. For panorama, Click


The mission style building is the restored schoolhouse, Goffs, CA.





For panorama, Click

The Goff Schoolhouse is closed for Covid,
but this cool scene is outside. Goffs, CA




Next door to Roy's, this abandoned school

It's a classic!

At Roy's


The famous Roy's Cafe, Amboy, CA.

Those black rocks of an ancient lava flow are from
the Pisgah Crater, the distant, black hill. Lavic, CA

I'm not sure if I witnessed an alien landing or
the second coming, but the desert is
beautiful, if challenging. Near Ludlow, CA.

Another abandoned service station,
just east of Newberry Springs, CA.

The RV posing at the Bagdad Cafe.

Chef Mike offered & took my pic
behind the counter at the Bagdad Cafe.


The interior of the Bagdad Cafe,
Newberry Springs, CA.
Do you see my CaptMurph boat card?
To confirm location of my card, Click.

All that's left of an
old motel in
Newberry Springs, CA.

For Facebook post, Click

No comments:

Post a Comment